The first family member to run the shop was HARRY SUTTON HIGNETT, born at Well House, Myddle in 1879.
He fought in the Boer War and the First World War, attaining the rank of Sergeant Major in the Shropshire Yeomanry.
In 1919 the whole of Europe was struck down with a great epidemic of Influenza and Harry Hignett heard that Griffiths’ Butcher shop in Pontesbury had become vacant owing to the owner dying very suddenly of this illness. He negotiated and bought the business within a week, moving the family from Belle Vue in Shrewsbury to South View, Pontesbury.
Harry Sutton Hignett ran the shop for 20 years and retired in 1939.
Arthur William Hignett took over the reins, initially having to cope with the difficult years of trading during the Second World War. His six sons and one daughter all helped out or worked in the shop, some for many years, as the business continued to develop and expand.
Arthur Hignett was Secretary of a thriving “Shrewsbury Butchers Association” for over 20 years. Even though he eventually handed the business over to the next generation, Arthur never actually retired, and he continued to work in the shop until he passed away in December 2002, aged 91.
“Hignetts of Pontesbury Ltd” now has the fourth generation of family working in the shop